Hey everyone-- here's something else we've been working on.
We call it "FlyingPi". It's a hat for the Raspberry Pi 2 or Pi 3 single board computers-- stacking on top of the GPIO connector. The project is intended for larger, advanced autonomous drones. It provides:
- 3A 5V switching supply for the Raspberry Pi that can operate from up to 6S.
- Current and battery voltage sense ADC
- 6 channels of PWM encoding from subsidiary microcontroller
- Serial and PPM ports for peripherals
- BMX055 9-DOF (gyro, accelerometer, magnetometer) MEMS inertial navigation unit
- MS5611 barometer
- LEDs, etc.
With PREEMPT_RT, realtime scheduler class, and our bundle of the flight controller with ChibiOS-on-posix, it's possible to run the flight controller on one dedicated core of the Pi and leave the other 3 cores for advanced processing. You can remote login to your drone, run computer vision software, etc... We expect this will allow us to greatly push forward what aircraft are capable of by allowing rapid iteration of control code, and also will allow very sophisticated autonomous/robotics usage.